2012 book challenge: The Graveyard Book

2012 Reading Challenge of HeyLadySpring

I started reading The Graveyard book ahead of everything in my reading list. I needed something to help me cope with a recent death. This video clip from Wit was enough to calm me down but I needed secondary medication. *lol* So I picked up this book and I'd like to think it helped me a bit. It did open a slew of other deep-seated emotions but hey maybe that's for another book to deal with. [hahaha] Am I seriously treating these books as therapists?!

Anyhow, I'm new at this book review thing and I have no idea what to write about. So I will leave the awesome reviews to the pros. This is not a serious review. (Disclaimer!) I'm going to make my life easier and just copy what I wrote in my book journal. I hope they make sense! Good luck~ [haha]

Neil Gaiman Graveyard book knife; heyladyspring.com

There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.

A children's story that starts with murder? Traumatize the kids yeah!~ But honestly I don't think it's that violent. If I had read this when I was 11 or 12, I would love it just the same. It has plenty of heart and I would recommend it to any age group. It's the kind of story written for kids but can teach a thing or two to adults as well.

The story starts with a man named Jack, set out to murder a family. Except, he fails. The baby boy crawls all the way out of the open door up the hill towards an old graveyard. A ghost couple, the Owens' and a mysterious man — which is neither dead nor living — decide to take care of him.

It is going to take more than just a couple of good-hearted souls to raise this child.
It will take a graveyard.

WARNING SPOILER AFTER THIS CUT!


So the graveyard names the baby, Bod (short for Nobody), because he looks like nobody but himself. He grows into an inquisitive yet slightly gloomy kid. Well it's understandable really, hard not to be gloomy if you grow up in a graveyard noh?!

Neil Gaiman Graveyard book Bod; heyladyspring.com

As Bod goes on in his adventures — and this kid gets into a lot of trouble — we meet interesting characters along the way. I could read books centered on these ghosts all day long. If this was fan fiction, I could be getting sequels and prequels and I'll be a happy person. But alas I have to content myself with this 231 page story. [Unless you can find me a fan fiction based on this book??! *puppy eyes*]

Neil Gaiman introduces new (or maybe a twist on) concepts about death, ghosts and the supernatural world. Which I was enjoying because it's like learning new rules and made me look forward to the rest of the chapters.

Neil Gaiman Graveyard book Bod and Silas; heyladyspring.com

"Bod was obedient, but curious" Oh when I read that sentence, I just know! Quick bring me the popcorn! This kid is going to get into trouble again. What I like about Bod though is how resourceful he is and incredibly brave. When I was his age I mostly kept my feelings in. Sadly, confrontation is something I have yet to master.

Neil Gaiman Graveyard book Bod; heyladyspring.com

Something was going on, it was there in the crisp winter air, in the stars, in the wind, in the darkness, it was in the rhythms of the long nights and the fleeting days. Dance macabre.

Bod learns about the Dance of Death which only the living and the dead can dance. He finally realizes, that although he is free to roam the graveyard, he does not belong to the dead. These are the chapters where I internalize the words (and written them all in my journal) because no matter how many books I read or words of comfort I hear from people. I am incapable of dealing with farewell's, death or funerals.

Sometimes he could no longer see the dead...the world was changing.

Death is not the main evil in this story. It's not the worst thing that can happen to Bod. He can die and wake up as a ghost and still be with his graveyard family. In this book universe, death is just an event. What breaks his heart is the parting of ways. The thought of not being able to see and talk to his loved ones.

I really admire Bod's strength. He was sad but he didn't cry or make so much drama out of it. He accepted things for what they are. It is neither fair nor unfair. It simply is.

Neil Gaiman Graveyard book Bod; heyladyspring.com

Eventually it was time for him to go and he did it with optimism and a thirst for life. Who knows maybe there really is such a thing as after life. And a part of me believes that because I'm a Christian. But there are so many concepts in this world that I may never know what is true. All I know is, I don't lose anything by believing.

And so this book about death and graveyards is really about life. Living it and reaching your fullest potential.

between now and then, there was life, and Bod walked into it with his eyes and heart wide open.

.

1 comment:

  1. so the book has graphics? This is interesting. It has been a while since Ive read a real book.

    ReplyDelete

[If you don't see the comment form, you may need to wait a bit, reload the page again, or update your browser. Comments are moderated. Please check back again as I make an effort to reply to every comment. Thanks!]

Hello! I'd love to hear what you think about my post. Leave a friendly message below.