My first handmade dolls




I don't think I'll ever outgrow my love for dolls. *laughs* Lately, I'm keeping a picture folder on my hard drive specifically for handmade dolls. It's amazing how these doll makers are able to bring to life little creatures from their imagination. It's not just knowing how to make a doll but also having an original look & design.

I'm struggling at the original look part. *haha* I'll get there eventually. I learned that it's easier to produce a semi-decent product if you have a clear vision in mind. I try to sketch shapes and facial expressions. (they're embarrassingly simple though~)

Doll making, I think, is the easiest way to practice sewing while having fun at the same time. So one day I just went at it and produced these three. They are all cats (in case you didn't notice *lol*).  I plan to sew various animal dolls..but..erm ( ゚д゚) ・・・ I will try to make a decent neko doll first. |๑ ̄ლ ̄๑|

I was originally planning to work on my curtain project but I don't want to butcher the fabric. The store where I got the fabric closed down and I don't know where they moved (╥_╥). *sad*

With my skill set it's probably not a good idea to work on advance projects. Plus I think they'd look better if they're done by machine. And I don't have one! (¬_¬) I tried looking for sewing machines on the internet just to see if I could squeeze it to my budget. NOT! (¬_¬) A basic Brothers sewing machine cost 8-10k. Hello!~

So I'm sticking with hand sewing. There are so many things I need to learn like practicing basic stitches, making patterns and choosing fabric etc,. I can do this! (* ̄ー ̄)ノ彡☆゚・。・゚★

I'll post about some of my favorite doll makers soon. You can check out my earlier feature of Ann Wood and her handmade owls & ships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

[If you don't see the comment form, you may need to wait a bit, reload the page again, or update your browser. Comments are moderated. Please check back again as I make an effort to reply to every comment. Thanks!]

Hello! I'd love to hear what you think about my post. Leave a friendly message below.