Plant profile: Sansevieria cylindrica (African Spear)



This is my 2 1/2 month old African Spear. I named her Sanshi. My aunt gave her to me as a housewarming present. I've kept her in the bathroom. I think she quite likes it. She grew 2 new buds since. I had to move her though, one of the little buds died. She might have been sprinkled with soap residue (and/or bleach) cause I keep her near the bathroom vanity.

This one is easy to maintain. It's a succulent so it doesn't need as much watering. Succulents retain water in their leaves. Be careful of over-watering and don't let the water sit on the leaves. It might rot. I water once a month and she's doing ok.

In terms of lighting, I've read that it will do ok inside the house with minimal lighting but if you want it to grow taller, then put it in a brightly lit spot (near the window, an area of the house where the lights are turned on often etc.,).

In terms of humidity & temperature, it's not fussy. it will do ok with average room settings.

You can read more tips on how to take care of an African Spear from Guide to Houseplants website.

If you want to get one, they're often sold at various plant stores in malls. (Sanshi came from Puregold. My aunt wasn't so successful in peeling the sticker tag *lol*) Always choose a healthy looking one! If you can't find one in your local mall, a sure place to buy plants is Manila Seedling bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[If you don't see the comment form, you may need to wait a bit, reload the page again, or update your browser. Comments are moderated. Please check back again as I make an effort to reply to every comment. Thanks!]

Hello! I'd love to hear what you think about my post. Leave a friendly message below.