What is a Mori Girl

I used to live by the mantra "Life too loud you can't hear it anymore" it was a quote from KC Concepcion's old magazine interview. I admired her because she was out there living her life to the fullest. (she still is!!!) She inspired me to live an active lifestyle. Always seeking adventures, always trying to learn new things.

I still have the same state of mind but I have gone more mellow. My interpretation of that phrase changed as well. A loud life need not be crazy or flashy. It can be a calm sort of sound that echoes forever and ever. /end cheese!

It seems, I was already a Mori girl at heart even before I learned of the concept. Though I won't label myself a mori girl (yet) because I respect the culture for what it is. Its a totality. Its a way of life. On the other hand, its really not necessary to label yourself with anything. You can just be you. ^-^; Anyway, I am sticking with "fascinated with the mori lifestyle" phrase because its less burdening this way.

Mori girls love the peace and quiet.

Mori girls (森ガール) belong to a fashion subculture which began in Japan. 'Mori' means forest in Japanese (...) they are girls who look like they live in the forest.

(...)Mori girls choose to live their lives on their own terms, stopping to appreciate the little things that others overlook amidst the hustle and bustle of daily life(...)

Mori girls are also characterized by certain attitudes to life. While most mori girls really live in the city, they maintain a pace of life that may be considered slow by others, preferring to stop and savor the tiny delights that many deem insignificant. Mori girls like to explore old neighborhoods, discover hole-in-the-wall shops and read in cafes. Many mori girls enjoy expressing their creativity, never mind if nobody will see or applaud their efforts, for instance through photography or writing journals(...)

In her own quiet way, the mori girl is an individualist. She does not care that the world may live differently from her. She lives consciously and chooses her own lifestyle. The mori girl often looks whimsical or quirky (...) While she may enjoy the company of others, the mori girl loves her own company and indeed has embarked on many of her most memorable adventures alone.
—source: morigirl



I like the way Mori girls dress because the whole look is warm and comfortable. Layering is essential to being a Mori girl. They often dress in layers of loose garments such as dresses, smocks, lace & vintage blouses, flowing skirts, tights and leggings. As with any style it keeps evolving but these are the basic items in a Mori girl wardrobe. The colors are of spring and autumn shades, very nature like. In winter, they add knit or fur coats, ponchos, boleros etc. in their ensemble.

However, I don't see myself following in this style. Its hard to layer in this country. Too hot! However, there seem to be a growing trend of less layered mori girl brands like Earth Music & Ecology as pointed out by Chai. I'm updating my wardrobe with dainty dresses. I found a local shop selling Mori inspired dresses. They're quite pricey (1500-2000php). Even if you're not buying, just stopping by is worth it because the interior is pretty. :p


They acquire trinkets like vintage pocket watches, analog cameras, handmade things, quilts, lace & floral, wood & plants, animal figurines, and other quirky items!


As some of you already know, I don't really put any effort in acquiring clothes. I buy clothes only when I need to. So that wasn't why I was drawn to this style...it's the overall aesthetic...the interior & trinkets that mori girl surround themselves with. It has bits of Scandinavian design elements thrown into it. And I LOVE Scandinavian design! Plus I'm increasingly becoming a plant lady. :/

Here is another example of Mori girl inspired room.


inspiration blogs: Oh Yeah Mori girl - MonMonMori - Mori Girl
mori bloggers: Little Forest Girl - Quiet girl - Vanillery Garden

photos © Mori Girl Lesson book

This post is part of the Musings series where I share stories of inspiring people, culture, concepts and beliefs.

Feel free to browse my other posts and leave your comments. See you! ( ^-^)/★*☆

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[If you don't see the comment form, you may need to wait a bit, reload the page again, or update your browser. Comments are moderated. Please check back again as I make an effort to reply to every comment. Thanks!]

Hello! I'd love to hear what you think about my post. Leave a friendly message below.