Plant update #3: African Violets & Wardian cases

So guess what? My African Violets are dead (≖_≖) .... wah¯\(ಠ_ಠ)/¯
What went wrong? I suspect slight over-watering & temperature problems. I have been using the air-conditioner more frequently these days. Apparently African Violets do not like the cold. They like room temperature. I'm not 100% sure that I'm really going below 60 deg, my air conditioner is a manual one so I can't check. I'm trying to find a room thermometer but I still haven't found any. *sigh*

*Please note that my plants are inside my room because its the only brightly lit spot on my place. So whenever I use the air-con, the plants are subjected to sudden shifts of temperature. You don't have to do exactly what I do. It all depends if YOUR place is the kind of environment the plants like.

Its the same all over again. Main problem is, I don't know the first thing about house plants. I expect them to thrive in my house when it is not the proper environment for them.
I am the one that needs to adjust and not the other way around.

I am not going to give up. I won't complain. I am just going to do better each and every time.

Gardening is part science, part experience, and part results, plus, it's hard to get right.
--Matt; Growing with Plants

The House Plant Expert book


I'm currently reading "The House Plant Expert" by Dr. D.G. Hessayon. I found it by chance at Booksale. By hook or by crook, I will not kill another plant! ヾ( ̄— ̄)ノ◇ 

Saintpaulia or African Violet is a humid loving plant. They like bright indirect light and room temperature. They don't do well when its hot (80deg F) and almost always dies when exposed to cold (below 60deg F). The perfect temperature is the average room temp.

I'm learning about its different varieties, proper care, and common problems. Not just of SaintPaulia but of many other type of house plant too. Would you believe there are over 400 types of plants that can be raised indoors?!

All about African Violets

different varieties of African Violet


While on research about the proper environment for African Violets, I stumbled upon these mini greenhouses and Wardian case. If I decide to have one made, its going to burn me a lot of money and whoah~ serious dedication! (^ε^)v
Simple mini greenhouse from IKEA

Simple mini greenhouse from IKEA

A simple greenhouse is appealing because its straightforward while a Wardian case feels like it needs a more expert hand(?). Also the intricate details might take away the attention on the plants! But its so pretty it doesn't matter!~
Wardian case examples from H.Potter

Someday....when we get a much bigger house. These are the real deal!!!

Vintage Wardian case
© pinterest

Wardian case of EastLake Victorian
© EastLake Victorian
*My spirits are renewed by all your comments. I am not the only plant killer *hurrah!* \(^-^ ) hehe j/k. I thought I had been singularly marked as a bad plant person. *lol*

No comments:

Post a Comment

[If you don't see the comment form, you may need to wait a bit, reload the page again, or update your browser. Comments are moderated. Please check back again as I make an effort to reply to every comment. Thanks!]

Hello! I'd love to hear what you think about my post. Leave a friendly message below.